- Shooting Balibo, Penguin, Melbourne, 2009; ISBN 9780670073580. See more at Penguin Books
- Smyrna, Greek translation by John Vasilakakos, Odisseas Publications, Athens, 2004. Σμύρνη, Οδυσσέας, 2003, ISBN 9789602104569. Buy here.
- All Over the Shop, Penguin, Ringwood, 1993; ISBN 014014627X.
- Smyrna, Penguin, Ringwood, 1989; ISBN 0140124365. Short-listed Miles Franklin Award, 1990; ABC Radio National 'Book Reading', read by Alex Dimitriades, August 2004 (repeated 2007). Details here.
- The Power of Speech: 25 Years of the National Press Club, Transworld, Sydney, 1989; ISBN 0947189289.
- The Children Must Dance, Penguin, Ringwood, 1984; ISBN 0140070893.
- Mr. Ikegami's Flight, directed by Robert Connolly, Australian Film Television and Radio School, 1995. View here.
- Odyssey, series drama episode, 'G.P.', ABC TV, (Director: Peter Andrikidis), 1994.
- Lithuania: Surviving the Revolution, SBS Dateline documentary (writer/producer), 1991, Walkley Award nomination 'Best International Report'.
- Loulla, SBS 'Six Pack' series, one-off drama (Director: Kay Pavlou), 1991. More details here.
- 'Home on the Ranges', Australia's Flinders Ranges, Australian Gourmet Traveller, February 2011, click here.
- 'Into the Wild', Greece's Mani region, Australian Gourmet Traveller, March 2010, click here.
- 'The Longest Road: Balibo, Canberra, Jakarta', ABC Unleashed, 14 September 2009, click here.
- 'Gather Images of War, but First, Stay Alive', ABC Unleashed, 9 June 2009, click here.
- 'From Vietnam To Iraq: Negative Trends in Television War Reporting', Pacific Journalism Review, Vol 14(2), October 2008, click here.
- 'Moderating on conflict and suffering', Australian Centre for Independent Journalism, University of Technology Sydney, June 2008.
- 'Leading Media Security Expert Visits DJH', Danish School of Journalism, 2007.
- 'The Lens in the Serpents Mouth', in War, Terrorism, Society (T. Pludowski, ed.), Collegium Civitas, Warsaw, 2007.
- 'Command and Control: How the Media and Military Are Reshaping Televised Coverage of War', in Counter-Terrorism and the Post-Democratic State, (Jenny Hocking/Colleen Lewis, eds.), Edward Elgar, London, 2007. More details here.
- 'Birth, Death and Transfiguration: Books and Reading', Australian Author, Vol. 38, Number 2, August 2006.
- 'The changing role of war correspondents in Australian news and current affairs coverage of two conflicts, Vietnam (1966-1975) and Iraq (2003)', Master of Arts (Media) research thesis, Macquarie University, 2006. Details here.
- 'The Greek in Me', Griffith Review, Summer 2004. Download essay
- 'Free Trade: an increasing number of American ads on Australian television signal the dangers of cultural imports', Weekend Australian, 16 August 2003, republished in AFC Trade Bulletin 28 August 2003. Click here.
- 'Crude Logic: Iraq's oil industry and current foreign deals', Weekend Australian, 8 March 2003
- 'The Longest Day: Cost of an Invasion of Iraq', Weekend Australian, 15 February 2003.
- 'More a Who's Who Than a Rue', 'Crosstown Traffic', 'The Bush To Boulogne', 'Discovering The World from a Cocoon', 'Grouchy Gauls Just Love a Gripe', in Paris Studio: Contemporary Writing by Fourteen Australian Authors Who Lived for a While in Paris, edited by Victor Barker, Halstead Press, Rushcutters Bay, 2002. More details here.